Linux fontconfig emulation broken in 5.4

John R Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Jun 11 04:43:29 GMT 2005

I'm running 5.4 installed from CDs, as vanilla as I can make it.

Whenever I run a linux program that uses X, such as acroread, it croaks
saying:

No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

As far as I can tell, the fontconfig files are all where they belong both
in the FreeBSD place and the Linux emulation place.  I'm running gnome
which is working fine.

I saw that someone asked this in March but got no responses.  Evidently
whatever was wrong still is.  Does this sound familiar?  Any suggestions
what or where to poke?

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor