system cloning

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Jun 10 23:56:18 GMT 2005

On 2005-06-10 16:41, Tony Shadwick <tshadwick at goinet.com> wrote:
> Nope, everything is from ports.  was just trying to avoide the 2+ days
> of compiling needed to rebuild everything. :(

Shutdown the system, install a new disk (or RAID of disks) and then move
over the data, as described in the following blog post of mine:

http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-new-disk

I used the process described in this post to move over an already
installed FreeBSD system from a 45 GB disk to a new 200 GB disk,
back in October.

Following this mini-guide, you won't need to rebuild anything at all.

( Mental note to self: This question comes up so often that I should
probably convert the blog post to an article and commit it to the
doc/ tree :-/ )

- Giorgos