patching a file with blanks in the name

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Jun 10 20:32:22 GMT 2005

> > --- foo bar/meow~	Fri Mar 11 09:00:49 2005
> > +++ foo bar/meow	Fri Jun 10 12:17:22 2005
> > -	a = 0;
> > +	a = 1;
> >
> > With the above example patch searches only for `foo', then gives up and
> > asks for help. I tried quoting the entire file name and escaping the
> > blanks with backslashes -- neither method works... Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> There was a discussion and maybe even a fix proposed for this issue on one
> of the GNU lists, probably <bug-gnu-utils at gnu.org>?  Anyway, I don't think
> the current release version of patch will handle paths containing spaces...

Strange... I can't imagine the fix being that complex... Instead of cutting
the file-name on the first blank, I'd cut it on the last tab. People with
tabs in the filenames would have to append one more tab at the end.

Regular, diff-generated patches (vast majority of them all) would not be
affected at all, as they always have timestamps (after a tab).

I could do the coding -- would anyone be interested in comitting it? Some of
the port-ed software (like the blasted java/eclipse) has blanks in directory
names :-(

	-mi