link in handbook appears to be broken

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Jun 10 12:42:07 GMT 2005

Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at InsightBB.com> wrote:

> On Monday 06 June 2005 01:16 am, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > So the next step is trying to substitute a different vendor's burner in
> > the FreeBSD
> > system.  If it gives you the same errors, the problem is most likely not
> > in the
> > burner, and most likely in the software drivers.  With that done, you
> > would
> > have enough data to write a GOOD pr and submit it.  If the substitute
> > works
> > OK then you know it's firmware bugs in the burner you have, and a PR
> > would not
> > be warranted.
> >
> > Ted
> I've gotten newer firmware from Toshiba but it didn't help from
> http://sdd.toshiba.com
>
> The asc, ascq codes are available at http://www.t10.org/lists/asc-num.htm
> In an attempt to determine if buffer underruns are the problem, I've used nice
> -18 (even -35) cdrecord...

Buffer underruns cause cdrecord to stop burning if you aren't using the
burnfree driver option. If you can write the whole image, you probably have
no buffer underruns.

If you use burnfree, you can use the -v option to see a count of the
prevented buffer underruns.

> If I'm burning an iso image, do I need to use SAO (DAO) instead of TAO?

You should burn SAO whenever possible, but this has nothing to do
with the image type.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/