FTP Log

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Thu Jun 9 21:58:56 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dixit, Viraj" <Viraj.Dixit at CityofPaloAlto.org>
To: "Dan Nelson" <dnelson at allantgroup.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:05 PM
Subject: RE: FTP Log

My previous email didn't show some lines correctly. This one is fine.
VJ

Hi Dan,

Can you shed light on why my FTP daemon not writing FTP logins in my ftplog
file. I have my FTP account enabled in my syslog.conf file and syslogd is
running.

54148  ??  Ss     0:16.13 /usr/libexec/ftpd -D

84598  ??  Ss     0:03.73 /usr/sbin/syslogd -m 0

!ftpd
*.*                                             /var/log/ftp.log

VJ

---------

A few things for starters:

1. Try adding the -l option to enable connection logging. Add it twice to
include get, store, cmd info as well.

2. Check to make sure those are tabs and not spaces in the syslog.conf
entry.

3. Make sure the /var/log/ftp.log file actually exists. It won't create it
on it's own, so you may need to do a touch on the file and then restart
syslogd.

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.