CUPS hp deskjet driver install fails

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Jun 7 23:01:14 GMT 2005

I'm running 5.4 RELEASE.  I installed cups, set up two printers (one hplj
network printer and one hpdj parallel port printer) and printed test pages.
The network printer printed a test page just fine.  The parallel port
deskjet printer took about 45 minutes to print a test page.

Thinking it was a driver problem (I was using the standard cups driver), I
installed print/hpijs using the WITH_CUPS=yes option.  Then I started up
print manager (in gnome2) to install the driver.  It failed with an error -
"CUPS is installed differently than expected.  There is no directory
'/usr/share/cups/model'.

There *is* a directory /usr/local/share/cups/model, so I created the
/usr/share/cups directory and created a symlink in that directory to
/usr/local/share/cups/model.

I then attempted to install the driver again and got the following error
message:
"Line longer than the maximum allowed (255 characters) at
1:'/usr/local/share/ppd/HP/HP-Deskjet_932C-hpijs.ppd.gz' (which is the
driver I'm trying to install.)

Does anyone have a suggestion for my next step?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member