Fwd: Re: [Cdrecord-support] cdrecord doesn't appear to support high speed media (4x-12x)

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Tue Jun 7 13:38:55 GMT 2005

Subject: Re: [Cdrecord-support] cdrecord doesn't appear to support high speed
media (4x-12x)
Date: Tuesday 07 June 2005 09:05 am
From: Joerg Schilling <schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To: FreeBSD at insightbb.com, cdwrite at other.debian.org,
cdrecord-support at berlios.de

Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com> wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE and I have a Toshiba SD-R5002 (DVD-RW)
> but I'm using it to create a CD.  High speed media, i.e., Memorex 4x-12x
> doesn't generate any error messages until I try to mount it.  Memorex 1x-4x
> media works fine.  I even tried speed=4 with cdrecord when using the high
> speed media, but it fails in same fashion.

This problem is either caused by bad media, bad firmware in your drive
or by an OS that modifies SCSI commands before sending them to the drive.

....Of course, yout should also check whether the FreeBSD version you are
 using includes the bug that hides SCSI error codes from the application.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/
 ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily

Does anybody know what bug he's talking about?  I'm tracking 4.11-STABLE and
5.4-STABLE, so it's probably already fixed.

--
i386 FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE
There are 10 types of people in this world. Ones that understand binary and