Stray IRQ 7 on 5.4-STABLE

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:18:35 GMT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 6:33 AM, Andreas Davour wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am encountering the following message on my root window:
>>
>> Jun 6 14:18:53 ast kernel: stray irq7
>> Jun 6 14:43:42 ast kernel: stray irq7
>> Jun 6 18:18:47 ast kernel: stray irq7
>> Jun 6 19:29:47 ast kernel: stray irq7
>>
>> I have noticed these stray irq messages periodically, but cannot
>> isolate what is causing them (the only mention of irq7 in dmesg
>> relates to my printer (parallel printer port)). In the past, they
>> popped up quickly prompting the message that there were too many
>> stray irq7 and that it wouldn't log them anymore (I forget the
>> exact wording). This appears to be a new problem (it hasn't
>> happened that I know of since one of the last 2 times I have re-
>> built world (I tend to update thrice every two months)). In case
>> it is needed, I am running CUPS and have the appropriate (or so
>> I've been told) options in my make.conf file (see it below). Does
>> anyone have any ideas? I did some searching and came up with nada.
>> Below I show my uname as well as dmesg and make.conf. Any help
>> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>>

> I don't know much about this, but I have recently added a printer
> on my own machine, with the parallell port. I've had some problems
> getting my printer to work, and have gotten many odd messages on
> the console about IRQ problems. Using polled or interrupted mode
> for the port seemed to make a major difference for me.

This is something that I encountered some time back.

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2005-April/
084211.html

That fix made a big difference to me. I am going to try a suggestion
on there (after having re-read it ) and rather than use 0x28, I am
going to give 0x20 a try (this seems highly related to your
suggestion). If this does not work, I am going to read up on
lptcontrol per your suggestion and see if there is anything that I am
missing. Thanks for the info. If the 0x20 does work, I will re-post
to this list, but since the messages I was receiving took hours for
each one to appear, I will have to let it sit there for a while.
> So, do you get any new messages, or less, from using polled/
> interrupted mode? Check the man page for lptcontrol for details on
> changing the mode.
At first, I received no messages after doing the fix mentioned above.
Perhaps as 5-STABLE matures, things are changing prompting a few more
of these messages to come out.