buildworld processes failing (was Re: installworld failure)

Mike Brown mike at hyperreal.org
Tue Jun 7 10:49:35 GMT 2005

Mike Brown wrote:
> (and my system clock is OK; I just ran ntpdate again to be sure.
> I also ran adjkerntz -i)

Never mind; I have bigger problems. The 'touch: not found' I see now is
related to the just-now-noticed fact that my buildworld had failed for some
reason. Subsequent attempts to run buildworld are failing as well, at random
places. /var/log/messages indicates processes involved in the build are
dumping core.

===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devutf8
/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devutf8 created for /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devutf8
*** Signal 10

Memory issues? I upgraded the motherboard and RAM on this system. The old one
had 384 MB, the new one has 512 MB. In my old kernel (still running at the
moment), I had MAXMEM set based on the 384 figure. I'm occasionally seeing
memory paging related errors and I'm guessing it's because of the bad value,
hence my desire to upgrade the OS with no MAXMEM setting this time.

Unfortunately I am apparently unable to do something so memory-intensive as
building world with things being unstable, and my old RAM was bad and is long
gone, so I'm not sure what to do, short of installing from scratch :/

-Mike