warnings and errors in /var/log/messages with 5.4

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Mon Jun 6 15:12:56 GMT 2005

I've recently upgraded to 5.4 RELEASE, and now I have my various USB
devices working with the ehci driver.  Problem is I'm getting some
errors and warnings in /var/log/messages that I never saw with 5.3.

The umass related error is always as follows:
Jun  6 10:30:25 keyslapper kernel: umass0: Phase Error, residue = 0
Jun  6 10:30:25 keyslapper kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x4, scsi status == 0x0

The device currently on da0 is a USB 2.0 memory key (1G Attache).

I'm not sure what this error means.  Is there any more detail to be
had?

The warning, I'm not so sure about:
Jun  2 17:50:40 keyslapper kernel: Warning: pid 41908 used static ldt allocation.
Jun  2 17:50:40 keyslapper kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info

It looks like the kernel is logging a warning any time a process uses
the i386_set_ldt system call, and the manpage explicitly states that
you can really hose your process by using that call.

Is there any more detail to be had on the LDT issue?

Thanks.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

No problem is insoluble.
    -- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4