ssh delays 40 seconds

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 01:25:11 GMT 2005

Robert Huff wrote:
> Richard J. Valenta writes:
>

>> I had this problem in the past, and it was due to DNS problems where my
>> IP from the client machine was unable to be resolved... but I think it
>> took longer than 40 seconds.  I mentioned this in this list before, a
>> search of the list may help.
>

> 	Affirmed for the general case.  "30 second delay, then normal
> network activity" _screams_ DNS misconfiguration, usually but not
> always in the client side.
>

> 			Robert Huff

Forgive me if I am dense. According to the readout of "ssh -vvv gateway"
the connection is made immediately. Does that not indicate that it knew
where to go?

The contents of "/etc/resolv.conf" on all of my systems is the same:

[frankie] ~> cat /etc/resolv.conf
search hawaii.rr.com
nameserver 24.25.227.33
nameserver 24.25.227.66
nameserver 24.25.227.64

I even commented out the other 2 and tried each nameserver one at a time
and it was able to resolve www.freebsd.org

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Again, if I am ignorant, please excuse me. Perhaps, point me to a document.

Thanks to all who responded
Robert