inbound ssh ceased on 4 servers at same time

Michal Mertl michal.mertl at i.cz
Sun Jun 5 10:10:19 GMT 2005

John Brooks wrote:
> sshd is running on the affected machines
>
> no errors on console or logs, just times out waiting for
> the password prompt. interestingly: when investigating this
> at the console, attempting ssh sessions from the db server
> and backup server to the file server (these two are 'deeper'
> in the network so there was never an occasion to ssh FROM
> them before) produced the std warning about an unknown host
> prompting for inclusion in the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.
>
> dns is not really involved, the ssh session is sent to the
> ip address directly as in "ssh john at 10.3.3.10"

With SSH a host name lookup is always involved. The server performs
reverse and forward lookup on the connecting IP. I've recently also had
problem with SSH and it was DNS issue.

A good test if a daemon is running is connecting with telnet to its port
- you can see three kinds of responses - connection reset (refused) on a
closed port (nothing listens on this port), nothing (just message
'Trying...' - on non-existent/firewalled host/port) and established
connection (telnet says 'Connected to...'). If you get 'Connected' with
ssh and nothing is displayed it's in 99% of cases a DNS issue. If you
get some message or the server just disconnects you (you get 'Connection
closed' message) it might be tcpwrappers' decision (man 5 hosts_access).

If you happen to have intermittent DNS issues you might better put the
important hosts into /etc/hosts which is by default queried before the
DNS servers.

The other daemons working need not to mean much - they may not do a
reverse DNS lookup on connecting IP.