ftpchroot

Denny Jodeit tech at flare.net
Fri Jun 3 20:26:03 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:40:46PM -0400, Denny Jodeit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to restrict an ftp user to a particular directory. I've
> written an ftpchroot file, as follows:
>
> Username  /var/spool/ftp/ ./Username/photos
>

> After I write the file and restart inetd, I am not able to login to
> ftp with this user account at all. I have RTFM and evidently don't get

> it...
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
>
> Denny

Is that a space character in the path above?  If so, I don't think it
should be there.  Have you tried just using the line:

username	/var/spool/ftp

... to see if the chroot works at all?  If so, then try adding user
specific subdirs of the chroot (without the space before the ``.'')

Nathan

Yes....
I've eliminated the space and restarted inetd and could not login to ftp
with this particular username at all.
I've changed the file to reflect your suggestion, same results...which
as you indicate, would mean chroot is not working at all.

If I remove the ftpchroot file altogether, I can login to ftp, but
obviously not in the directory I wish the account to go to.

Denny