Tuning FreBSD with specific applications

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Jun 2 21:11:44 GMT 2005

Vittorio De Martino <vdm.fbsd at virgilio.it> writes:

> How could I obtain those improvements? What could I do to speed those programs
> under freebsd?

Well, it can be hard to say, but in this case the kernel
shouldn't have much to do with the speed of the applications
(which will be pretty much CPU-bound for the programs you
specified), so it's unlikely that you need to tune FreeBSD
as opposed to your userland software.  You said that you
built the software by hand, the same way for both the Linux
and FreeBSD case; which compilers were used in each case?