postgrey question

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Jun 1 14:25:59 PDT 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Jorn Argelo wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>

>> On Jun 1, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>

>>> I've been looking into ways of improving our spam filtering.
>>> Currently I'm running postfix with amavisd-new (spamassassin and
>>> clamav), and saw an article on greylisting using postgrey.
>>> Turns  out there's a port for it already in FreeBSD.
>>>

>> I don't run postifx and the thing I am about to mention I have
>> not  tried yet, but you may want to explore modifying your
>> greylisting to  be based on spamassassin results.
>>
>> I use exim as the mta and there is a thing called sa-exim that
>> lets  you run spamassassin at SMTP time so that you can reject
>> mail if you  want before you actually are finished receiving it.
>> The author of sa- exim has modified it to do greylisting based on
>> spamassassing scores  generated at smtp time, so that you only
>> greylist mail that is  thought to be spam and do not inconvenience
>> your regular users.
>>
>> Can you do spamassassin at smtp time with postfix?
>>

> That's far too complicated. Postgrey does an excellent job.

Yes, normal greylisting works for some people, but in general, it is
not seconds, but minutes (I don't believe that your server tells it
how long to wait, but rather in general greylisting it returns a 4xx
temporary failure error and the sending mail server will
automatically retry within its own retry rules) and lots of people do
not like to have their good mail greylisted at all as it can delay
good mail for minutes or longer, so the one I described above is a
modification on greylisting that allows it to only greylist possible
spam and not all mail.

Chad