FreeBSD Active Directory Server

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Jul 31 08:43:48 GMT 2005

martin at orbweavers.co.uk wrote:
> Has anyone any experience trying to make FreeBSD an Active Directory
> Server? From my research and experiementation, I am under the impression
> that it is possible, but I have yet to come up with any articles where it
> has actual been done fully.

it may be not relevant, or simply wrong, but IIRC, e-smith , a linux
distrib that was started by mitel, ( http://www.e-smith.com/ ), has
Samba *and* winXP sees it as a domain. I can't recall if it's an AD (I
*think* it is, as the esmith server runs LDAP, iirc).

The trick to let the client see the linux/samba server as an AD server
was to disable some kind of encryption / cert related option in the
client's registry.

I'll see if i get hold of the colleague that worked on this and ask him
the details.

hope this is of some help.

Beto