scanimage -L doesn't work as normal user

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Sat Jul 30 13:42:59 GMT 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 01:41:20PM +0200, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
>
> Wrong perms on ugen0, read carefully:
> 7.6.4 Allowing Scanner Access to Other Users
> if you want ugen0 appears with the right permissions once you plug your
> scanner.  The current devfs scheme you use (Cf. your previous mail)
> should work if you boot directly with your scanner plugged and not if
> you plug it later.

According to the man-pages, this should be solved by adding the
folowing rules to /etc/devfs.rules:

# Allow any user to access uscanner and ugen devices rw
add path 'usb0'      mode 0666
add path 'ugen*'     mode 0666
add path 'uscanner*' mode 0666

I restarted devfs but the devices were created with the wrong
permissions when I plugged in the scanner?

If I restart devfs after plugging in the scanner permissions are
corrected. But I think this is rather annoying - is this intended?
 no problem report has been filed on this issue...

> > $ sane-find-scanner -q
> > found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0
> > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON Scanner]) at
> >    libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0
> >
> [...]
>
> This is a problem, a USB scanner under FreeBSD should use uscanner(8)
> driver nothing else.  I assume your scanner is not seen by uscanner(8),
> i.e. not supported or just not defined in uscanner.c
> Try to add an entry for your scanner in uscanner.c, rebuild uscanner.ko,
> etc. and retry.

OK, I will update usbdevs and uscanner.c and submit a patch if
this makes it work.

Yet, I still can't understand howcome I can successfully scan an
image as root if scanning is only supposed to work with the
uscanner device.

Thanks, Erik

GnuPG: http://www.locolomo.org/home/norgaard/norgaard.gpg.asc
pub  1024D/11D11F9E 2003-08-15 Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
     Key fingerprint = C394 81C4 D137 EEE5 39BE  82D5 3E6B FB3E 11D1 1F9E