rshd vs 5.4

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Fri Jul 29 22:10:46 GMT 2005

hal wrote:

> Trying to connect to my new backup server running 5.4 using rsh fails.
>
> It worked well on my old backup server running 4.7 P25.
>
> inetd.conf has the /usr/libexec/rshd line un-commented.
>
> hosts.allow permits the remote host to connect to rshd.
>
> The rsh file in /etc/pam.d has been patched by hand and looks good.
>
> The message I am getting after some timeout period is:
>
>         server.host.name: Connection refused
>
> It appears that inetd, which is running by the way, is not starting
> rshd.
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer or two to get this thing working?
>
> hal

Unfortunately, I don't know the solution for your problem, but I'm
really intersted what's the point in using rshd? SSH is more common and
it is secure. Security is not necessary in a trusted subnet, but sshd
would suffice your needs. And FreeBSD is shipped with a working sshd
configurations, what You have to do is only enabling it in rc.conf.

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán