Grub not working

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Jul 28 14:30:44 GMT 2005

In the last episode (Jul 28), Gary W. Swearingen said:
> Benjamin Lutz <benlutz at datacomm.ch> writes:
> > Two guesses:
> >
> > - You can't write to a disks MBR while it's being used. I've seen
> >   this myself, but I'm not exactly why this is, or how it can be
> >   circumvented (other than booting from another device).
>
> Yes.  It wasn't always this way.

It's easy to turn off, though, and is even documented in grub's
pkg-message file:

	To install GRUB on the master boot record of your hard drive
	use 'grub-install <drive-to-install>' command.

	NOTE: Don't forget to run 'sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16' on
	      5.x and -CURRENT to enable writing in hard disk system
	      areas.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com