need some advice

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Jul 29 12:47:06 GMT 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 09:35, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> Windows just for gaming to me means w98se. It's faster, smoother and
> smaller.

One problem problem with w98 is that it has problems with modern amounts of
memory. I have a similar w98/freebsd dual-boot  with AMD64 2.8G and 1.5 GB of
ram, and I have to limit Windows to 1GB of memory or it wont boot. That's not
a major loss, but it may be neccessary to remove a stick when reinstalling.

One point about the AMD 64. At the moment I'm running the i386 version of
FreeBSD, because it's generally better supported. I think it's worth checking
the amd64 mailing list for compatibility problems so you can keep your
options open - particularly as you are keeping the hardware for a long time.