Backup kernel - confirmation

Bryan Maynard bryan.maynard at reallm.com
Thu Jul 28 16:08:06 GMT 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 02:10 pm, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> quick question - I have a remote box with SMP/HTT disabled, but I'd
> like to see how it works with it. If I make a copy of my current
> kernel to /kernel_orig, I should be able to install the SMP one as
> /kernel, and if hell breaks lose, I should be able to point it to
> /kernel_orig ... right?

Yes, you can do that. Also of note is that when FreeBSD compiles a
kernel it takes the old kernel and renames it kernel.old. When FreeBSD
is booting you can select which kernel to use simpy by entering
"boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel" or "boot /boot/kernel_orig/kernel". I
did this when I was tweak the kernel in my laptop. Check the boot man
page for more info.

> any caveats for this? ( I do off-band access to the server)

Booting using "boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel" runs as if you were booting
using your current kernel. I ran my laptop all day on my old kernel and
did't see any problems.

> thanks in advance,
> Beto

Thanks,

Bryan
--
Open Source: by the people, for the people.