defragmentation in FreeBSD 4.11

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:49:03 GMT 2005

On 7/27/05, demigor <demigor at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > How one could defragment a partition on FreeBSD ? Which tools are
> > available
> > > for this ?
> >
> > Why should you want to do this? There's no harmful fragmentation in
> > the UFS of FreeBSD unless you exceed the max capacity of 100% which is 92%
> > when looking closer but reported as 100% by df.
> >

> Thanks for the information. Asked just of curiosity :)

Anyway, you can just back up files on that partition, recreate the
partition, restore the files (sequentially) - voila, they'll be
defragmented.

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"