100Mbit network performance - again

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 27 17:38:12 GMT 2005

Chris wrote:

> I have diff experience, I get around 7500kB/sec max windows to windows
> using realtek, and freebsd can get the same but uses less cpu in doing
> so, I put it down to realtek just been poor and the FreeBSD and
> windows drivers not been great, I have seen both windows and FreeBSD
> handle higher transfer rates with better quality network cards, if
> performance is essential for your network then invest in good
> hardware.
>
> Chris
>
> On 27/07/05, martin hudec <corwin at aeternal.net> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 03:13:50AM +0400 or thereabouts, Andrew P.
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Erm, well 60+Mbytes is no wonder in a Gigabit environment (and it is
>>> too much of a wonder in a FastEthernet one), but I'm interested in
>>> getting 100Mbit hardware to work at full speed.
>>>

>> If I take that your "NE2000 $10 NIC's" is what you call 100Mbit
>> hardware, then.. would you mind if I ask: what do you expect more from
>> such $10-harware other than just to flicker and to eat electric current?
>>
>> Use *real* 100Mbit hardware please :) . BTW I have same performance
>> with my sis900/rl8139 NIC's.
>>
>>       cheers,
>>       Martin
>>
>> --
>> martin hudec
>>

>>  * 421 907 303 393
>>  * corwin at aeternal.net
>>  * http://www.aeternal.net
>>
>> "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible
>> exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
>>
>>  Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Haha...

Samba's a given. It's always slow as hell.
HTTP... hmmm. What server are you serving HTTP traffic with and what are
the stats of the server hardware/load and also which client are you
using to connect to the server?

But the real question is what sort of CPU speed/RAM/HD speeds and what
version(s) of each OS are using in your machines? Performance can vary
greatly with these factors.

If you don't like Samba, try SFU's NFS thanks to MS
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/downloads/default.mspx>.
One of the only decent things that MS has come out with ever. When
communicating with 2 machines (Windows client, FreeBSD/Linux server) I
had very little lag and things got close to the full 10Mb/s I think
(didn't empirically measure the value). You can also use Cygwin based
NFS if you only want a client and not a server.
-Garrett