100Mbit network performance - again

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:00:25 GMT 2005

Hello all!

I remember being able to reach 11-12Mbytes/s between two Win95
workstations with NE2000 $10 NIC's installed, connected via BNC cable.
I am now able to reach 11-12Mbytes/s between all kinds of Windows
2000/XP machines with all kinds of cheapest 100Mbit ethernet hardware.

But I have never ever exceeded 8-9Mbytes/s between a Windows machine
and a FreeBSD box - _never_. Be it Samba, different ftp/http servers,
different FreeBSD versions (4.x/5.x), with ipfw enabled or disabled,
etc., - the speed always hovers around 7-8Mb/s. I know it's not
critical, I know I should've upgraded to Gigabit hardware long ago,
but is there something wrong?

I tried different linux distros, but they all seem to be even slower. Wazzup?..

Thanks,
Andrew P.