jail login and replication problems

Dan Rue drue at therub.org
Tue Jul 26 21:15:18 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I am setting up multiple jails on a machine.  The first jail, everything
works fine.  If I add a user, that user can log in.  If I tar cvzpf the
jail, tar xvzpf to create a new one, some people can log into the new
jail, and some can not.

The user that can log in to the new one was the first user created (me),
but any subsequent users can not log into new jails..

The symptom is right after accepting the password via ssh, the
connection will just get dropped.  I could not find any good error
messages using ssh..  But if I enable telnet and try to telnet in, I
receive this error in /var/log/messages:

Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3 login: _secure_path: cannot stat /home/user3/.login_conf: Permission denied
Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3 login: _secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login.conf: Permission denied
Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3 login: _secure_path: cannot stat /home/user3/.login_conf: Permission denied
Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3 login: _secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login.conf: Permission denied

The permissions on those files are fine.

So what would cause that error in jails that have been replicated using
tar, but only to some users?  I'm stumped..

Here's my rc.conf exerpt:

jail_enable="YES"
jail_list="jail3"
jail_socket_unixiproute_only="NO"
jail_sysvipc_allow="YES"  # allow shared mem on all jails

jail_jail3_rootdir="/jails/jail3"
jail_jail3_hostname="jail3.example.com"
jail_jail3_ip="10.0.0.203"
jail_jail3_procfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail3_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail3_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

tia,
Dan