FreeBSD-newbie!

Eugene M. Minkovskii emin at mccme.ru
Tue Jul 26 16:00:49 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:38:01PM +0100, lars.lindblad wrote:
"
" Hi.
"
" My name is Lars and lives in Sweden. I have finally bought
" FreeBSD 5.2 and the handbook from the FreeBSD-mall. That's
" great! I've wanted to leave the Windows-world and I have
" been testing Linux for a few years.
"
" But I have some problems with my FreeBSD-installation, and I
" hope someone here can help me!
"
" Facts: FreeBSD5.2 (feb 2004 version), IBM Thinkpad (laptop
" with 300Mhz Intel II, 96Mb RAM and 20Gb HDD.

It seems to me, more wise is to use FreeBSD 5.4 in laptop,
because FreeBSD 5.2 was some problems in ACPI. thats problems was
fixed in latest releases.

" 1. Since I have been used to KDE over the years, I have
" decided to continue with that, but it locks up the entire
" computer - sometimes when I start KDE, and mostly when I
" shut it down.

Perhaps you should turn off ACPI. First of all try to boot witout
ACPI (I don't remember, but it seems to me this is a second item
in boot menu), if this bring good resalt to you, go to the
/boot/device.hints and add to this file following line:

hint.acpi.0.disable="1"

" 2. In frustration over KDE-issues I tested Gnome. Quite
" pretty Window Manager, but I never got any working keyboard
" there. Ideas? And can I run KDE-applications in Gnome? I use
" Kstars a lot.
"
" 3. In Sweden we have some exciting extra wovels... but the
" keymaps never seem to find them. What do I do wrong? What
" kind of a keyboard do I have on a Thinkpad anyway?! At some
" configurations I've got the > and <, but no ~, and of course
" the opposite has also happened.

I think you don't configure your X properly. Perhaps you may copy
paste your language settings from Linux, which you tested "for a
few years". I use WindowMaker and run many KDE and GNOMEs
progrums under it. Moreover, I'm a russian user. This is "much
more hard" language for localization, then sweden. We have more
then 3 different encodings, more then 2 different input-maps.

" Um... I think that's all for now. Hope someone can help!
" Thanks in advance!
"
" / Lars

Sensory  yours, Eugene  Minkovskii