filesystem creation problem during the installation process.

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 07:03:23 GMT 2005

On 7/25/05, Jesus Romero <jerori at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following issue:
>
> Once I've chosen in the sysinstall main menu:
> 1- Standart Installation
> 2- ad0 as selected drive.
> 3- I've deleted the current partitions there and created a new one for
> Freebsd using "Use Entire Disk". But I have to click S to define this
> slice as ACTIVE partition and that's it. Click Q.
> 4- I use "Fdisk Partition Using Entire Disk" I click "A" as default
> partition. Click Q.
> 5- I select Standar like Boot Manager for drive ad0.
> 6- For Choose Distribution, I choose ALL.
> 7- For Choose Media, I choose CD/DVD.
> 8- And after I got the following warning:
>
>  User Confirmation Requested
>  Last Chance! Are you SURE you want to continue the installation?
>  If you're running this on a disk with data you wish to save then WE
>  STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO MAKE PROPER BACKUPS before proceeding!
>  We can take no responsibility for lost disk contents!
>                              [ Yes ]    No
>
> 9- I chose, YES, and I've always gotten the following message.
>
> [ Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev
>   Creation of filesystem will be aborted ]
>
> 10- I've tried a lot alternatives, but without luck!!

How big is the drive? What does happen if you create a smaller
partition for the OS at the beginning of the drive instead of using
the entire drive?

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"