making dvd from videos. (- hey you're lucky!)

dgmm freebsd01 at dgmm.net
Mon Jul 25 22:30:11 GMT 2005

On Sunday 24 July 2005 04:47, nawcom wrote:
> heres a script for converting your classic codec based avi file to a VOB
> file for burning onto a DVD. i didnt test the program out, but i did
> check to make sure it's freebsd compatible. and luckly all of the needed
> programs are in /usr/ports/multimedia. You're lucky!
> http://inferno.slug.org/cgi-bin/wiki?AviToVob
> it looks like it does the following:
>  -1. use mencoder to pull the video out of its container format or codec,
>  -2. use mplayer to extract the audio channels into a separate file
>  -3. converts the audio into an MP2 file
>  -4. use transcode to convert the new avi into a VCD/SVCD compliant m2v
> file -5.  use mplex to group the m2v and mp2 file to a full working mpg -6.
>  use dvdauthor to make a legit folder containing the video file, title
> info, etc. im sure you can modify it to your needs.
>  -7. use mkisofs to create an iso file out of the folder
>  -8. use dvdrecord to burn the fucker.
>
> 8 steps in one shell script. not that bad huh. i may bookmark this page
> for future use.
> -Ben

You can do it with just mencoder too.

mencoder -of mpeg -vf scale=720:576 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=25:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500 -oac lavc -af
lavcresample=44100 -srate44100 -mpegopts format=mpeg2 infile.avi -o
outfile.mpg

Not sure about all the settings in that, it's a while since I used it.  The
bitrates above may or may not be correct.

I'd strongly suggest anyone using mplayer/mencoder read the mplayer and
mencoder users list linked from the mplayer home page.

--
Dave