Questions FreeBSD NOT SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian Moore no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au
Fri Jul 22 05:06:48 GMT 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 13:37, zick-1 wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Recently has ordered disks with Free BSD and has decided to establish on
> the computer. At once I shall tell, that with FreeBSD it is familiar
> very little and consequently.
> There were many questions. Before from Unix similar
> established and started Debian Linux. But in FreeBSD all differently...
>
> 1) I can not establish BSD atop Windows NT. The disk is broken into two
> parts С:/and D:/. On With: it is established Windows (FAT32), D empty
> (FAT32). And in my opinion BSD does not see the second disk. At
> installation BSD then it is impossible to start Windows.

Someone else can probably answer this better than I can..

> 2) Whether has BSD the graphic interface? Or all works through #root?

Yes, FreeBSD uses X for a graphical interface, just like Linux. Unlike most
linux distributions, FreeBSD doesn't install X by default, so you need to
install X and configure your choice of window manager/desktop environment.

You can do this from the install program (/stand/sysinstall), but I'd
recommend reading the handbook - it will tell you how do do all of this. You
can access the handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Once you have a web browser installed, you can also use the local copy
at /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

Section 5 tells you how to install & configure X (you should use Xorg, not
XFree86 if you are using FreeBSD 5.3 or later).

> 3) Whether means that the system is established presence:
> login: root
> #
Yes, the # prompt mean you are logged on correctly as root.

You shouldn't normally login as root though - see section 13 of the handbook
for information on how to create a normal user. Use root only for tasks that
really need it.

> In the literature on a disk very few concrete explanations.

Check out the handbook - it's a great source of information on most aspects of
installing and running FreeBSD. If you still have trouble, you can always ask
on this list.

Good luck!

Cheers,
--