help

virgil huston virgil.huston at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 15:22:25 GMT 2005

On 7/19/05, Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard at reallm.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 July 2005 10:14 am, Rommi Alvian (MTHK/EDP) wrote:
> >  I am deeply interested with freeBSD. currently, i am a windows expert
> > then i am trying to move into freeBSD. The problem is no one can teach
> > me. i have read xxxguide but it can't help me. does freeBSD support
> > GUI interface?

I am quite inexperienced with Linux/Unix. so my experience may be
useful to a newbie. I found FreeBSD easier to install that Red Hat
Linux and far easier to use than RH. A couple of things I have
learned:
1. Install the ports collection.
2. DO NOT try to install applications during the install process. In
fact, I found that I didn't like using sysinstall to install apps at
all. I just cd to the appropriate ports directory and run make and
make install.
3. DO NOT forget to run make clean after installing apps. I couldn't
figure out why my hard drive was filling up.

I love FreeBSD so far. I wish I had discovered it long ago.

VHH