bridging

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Jul 20 21:39:33 GMT 2005

Don't top-post, please.

> On 20 Jul 2005 09:38:22 -0400, Lowell Gilbert <
> freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> >
> > Sushubh <sushubh at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I am going to install FreeBSD on a machine we plan to make a server.
> > >
> > > Now, we have 2 lines of internet coming to our place through 2
> > > separate lan modems. I want the server to take these 2 lines and
> > > combine the speeds to form a single line which can be used by our lan
> > > to access the internet.
> > >
> > > I have got 3 lan cards on the linux machine. 2 for the incoming
> > > connections from the 2 lan modems which have the gateways 192.168.1.1<http://192.168.1.1>
> > > and 192.168.1.100 <http://192.168.1.100>.
> > >
> > > How do I go ahead with making my server a gateway offering combined
> > > bandwidth to our lan?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand your message, but:
> > How do you do it with the Linux machine?

Sushubh <sushubh at gmail.com> writes:

> their is a bridge software in linux which can do that...
> http://bridge.sourceforge.net

That doesn't do what you described.  That's just regular bridging, to
connect two links into a single subnet.  FreeBSD can do that quite
well (there's a whole chapter titled "bridging" in the FreeBSD
Handbook), but it doesn't have anything to do with load balancing
across the two links, which is what you said you were after.