help

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Tue Jul 19 15:10:36 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 10:14, Rommi Alvian (MTHK/EDP) wrote:
>  I am deeply interested with freeBSD. currently, i am a windows expert then
> i am trying to move into freeBSD. The problem is no one can teach me. i have
> read xxxguide but it can't help me. does freeBSD support GUI interface?
>
> please help step by step..
>
> thanks
>
> alvian

Alvian,

The short answer to your question is yes.

The longer answer is several GUIs - your choice. The handbook does give
the information you need to set one up. First you will need Xwindows,
which will give you the basic GUI structure. Once you have that working
then you can use something like KDE or Gnome to give you the desk top.
Again the details you need to set this up is in the handbook.

There are some pitfalls though. Some Graphics cards have only limited
support. Look at the hardware supported list on the FreeBSD site.

Have fun.

Rob