DoS prevention .Sysctl parameters to prevent this?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jul 19 14:28:23 GMT 2005

vladone <vladone at spaingsm.com> writes:

> Recently i have in gateway freebsd that go down due to an DoS attack.
> I dont know exactly what is (i dont have experience), but is useful if someone, with more
> wiyh more experience, can give some parameters for sysctl to prevent
> Dos an flood problem.
> Or perhaps with ipfw rules.
> Any help will be apreciated!

The question is too general.  Every resource that is consumed by
incoming traffic is potentially subject to a denial-of-service
attack.  Furthermore, most denial-of-service attacks are actually
using up your incoming bandwidth, so there isn't much you can do on
your machine after those packets have already traversed your incoming
link.

See the manual for security(7), and see if that gives you a good start.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/