Courier-IMAPD problem with fam(d)

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Tue Jul 19 13:28:11 GMT 2005

David Kelly wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2005, at 6:36 AM, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
>

>> The mail/courier-imap port installs famd as a dependency, but You
>> have to manually configure and start it. Take a look at /usr/local/
>> etc/fam.conf.
>

> I don't see anything about starting there or in fam(1M) other than
> "if fam is started by inetd".

Honestly speaking I don't know how to start it. Maybe inetd starts it,
maybe courier-imap or You might start it manually?! Unfortunately I dont
have such problems You have without fam. But if You have found out
please let me know, I'm interested. :)

>> Anyway, this is a deficiency in the new versions of courier-imap.
>> There isn't some kind of --without-fam configure options, the new
>> versions require fam.
>

> /usr/ports/mail/courier-imap/Makefile says fam is disabled by default:
>
> OPTIONS=        OPENSSL         "Build with OpenSSL
> support"                    on \
>                 FAM             "Build in fam support for IDLE
> command"         off \
>                 DRAC            "Build in DRAC
> support"                         off \
>                 TRASHQUOTA      "Include deleted mails in the
> quota"            off \
>                 GDBM            "Use gdbm db instead of system
> bdb"             off \
>                 IPV6            "Build with IPv6
> support"                       on

If You take a look what the WITH_FAM macro actually does, You'll see it
only adds fam as a dependency and adds some extra cc flags, but leave
the CONFIGURE_ARGS untouched. Afaik fam can't be actually disabled in
courier-imap.

.if defined(WITH_FAM) || exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/libfam.so)
CONFIGURE_ENV=  CPPFLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include" \
                LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS+=       -L${LOCALBASE}/lib
LIB_DEPENDS+=   fam.0:${PORTSDIR}/devel/fam
.endif

> I suspect but haven't been able to prove fam is somehow running, if
> only as a library linked to imapd. When Mail.app has "connection"
> problems its instantly disconnected but sometimes a few messages get
> thru. Sometimes a simple ssh to the FreeBSD machine, mutt to view the
> mailbox, close it with messages now tagged as old, is all it takes
> for Mail.app and courier-imap combination to be happy.

Likely there is the libfam.so linked, as You can see above, but that is
only a prerequisite to use famd. Famd must be running as a separate
process and courier-imap connects to famd with the help of libfam.

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán