Sound as Root, No Sound as User

Lawrence Petrykanyn lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 18 17:52:25 GMT 2005

Hi,

    I'm a newbie, but managed to get my sound working as root, but not
when I use a user account.  The CD Player in Gnome works fine if I log
in as root, but when I log on as a user, it says that there is a "drive
error", but if I su into root and "cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1" I can
play a CD.  I'm assuming that this is a permission issue but can't find
any mention of it in either the Handbook or the Internet.  The user
account is in the wheel group.

    I am running FreeBSD 5.4.  Any suggestions, comments or advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lawrence