Boot in 1024x768x16

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 00:01:53 GMT 2005

On 7/16/05, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2005-07-16 13:17, Nicolas Blais <nb_root at videotron.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Can anyone tell me how to boot in 1024x768x16 (vidcontrol MODE_279) or
> > at least have all the ttyv at that resolution after boot. I have seen
> > the sc flag 0x0080 to set it at 800x600 but I would want 1024 since my
> > lcd native resolution is 1024x768 and in 800x600 the refresh rate
> > causes flicker.
>
> Does the video mode switch to 1024x768 as expected when you run as root
> the following command?
>
>         # vidcontrol MODE_279
>
> If it does, then you can add "MODE_279" to allscreens_flags in your
> /etc/rc.conf file.

They finally got the raster VESA modes patch into FreeBSD??? Will it
be in FreeBSD 6.x?

If anyone whats this in FreeBSD 5.x I have a basic script that will
apply that patch. The patch I have might be outdated (someone have a
more current one???) Anyways:

Run this script as root (make sure the patch was applied cleanly):
---------------------
cd /tmp
rm current-vesa_patch.tar.gz
fetch http://www.nbritton.org/uploads/current-vesa_patch.tar.gz
rm -r current-vesa_patch
tar -zxvf current-vesa_patch.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/sys/dev/syscons
patch </tmp/current-vesa_patch/current-syscons.diff
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol
cp /tmp/current-vesa_patch/current-vidcontrol.1 ./vidcontrol.1
cp /tmp/current-vesa_patch/current-vidcontrol.c ./vidcontrol.c
make && make install && make clean
----------------------

Add this to your kernel file:
---------------------
options VESA
options SC_PIXEL_MODE
---------------------
and then recompile your kernel.

Add this to your /etc/rc.conf file:
allscreens_flags="MODE_279"
and then reboot. It will complain something about vidcontrol and your
mouse, just ignore it.

The patch can also do higher modes like MODE_282 (1280x1024) etc. if
you update your system via cvsup you will have to run the script again
because cvsup will over write the files.

This patch also fixes the problems with older ATI cards that don't
have a real VESA BIOS.