better disk reliability on a desktop machine

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 23:16:10 GMT 2005

On 7/15/05, Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes at pobox.com> wrote:

> [deleted]
>
> 2. taking backups offsite.  Seems to me that the best route is a
>    number of external firewire hard disks.  This machine doesn't have
>    motherboard firewire, so I'll need to get a PCI firewire board.

* Computer (in a headless setup) that's PCI 2.2 compliant:
      * FreeBSD 5.x:
            * Rsync.
            * Cron.
            * SSH
            * VPN Tunnel (optional).
      * Big hard drive(s).
      * 802.11g (see the "ath" manpage) PCI NIC.

Here's the parts you need, $260 for everything listed above:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811153035
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144422
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813185036
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820141169
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819104159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833322201

If you can't figure out what to do with these parts, well......