install Apache1 and Apache2 on the same server

Tsampros Leonidas ltsampros at upnet.gr
Sat Jul 16 08:59:31 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 01:51:32AM +0200, Ksenia Marasanova wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have FreeBSD box that runs Apache1 from ports. Now I'd like to
> install Apache2 from ports (and run it on different IP), without
> overwriting httpd binary of Apache1. What would be the correct,
> port-friendly :) way to do it? (I also use portupgrade, it would be
> nice if portupgrade will still be able to upgrade both ports)
>
> Any tips or pointers to man pages are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

When installing applications from the ports tree , there is a way
through tha Makefiles to define conflicts with other ports that may be
installed.  By looking at www/apache20/Makefile, i can see this one:

CONFLICTS= apache+mod_ssl-1.* apache+mod_ssl+ipv6-1.*
apache+mod_ssl+modsnmp-1.* \
                apache+mod_ssl+mod_snmp+ipv6-1.* apache+mod_ssl+mod_accel-1.* \
                apache+mod_ssl+mod_snmp+mod_accel-1.* \
                apache+ipv6-1.* apache+ssl-1.* apache-1.* apache_fp-1.* \
                caudium-devel-1.* caudium10-1.* caudium12-* \
                ru-apache+mod_ssl-1.* ru-apache-1.* thttpd-2.*

Apparently you can't have both apaches. But you could install apache20
manually, with --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 , setting up any links
with the binaries installed to /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin and
then upgrading should be easy enough. You'll just rm -rf
/usr/local/apache2 and reinstall the new version. Also care must be
taken during apache's configuration. Apache2 won't listen to the
already binded address (the one used by apache1).