Three questions...

George Ruch george.ruch at 3lefties.com
Fri Jul 15 19:27:46 GMT 2005

I'm working on a 5.4-REL test installation on my main desktop machine.
Hardware specifics:
	MSI MS-6378 MB
	AMD Athalon 1800 @ 1536
	256 MB memory
	2 x Maxtor 30 GB drives
	Zip 100 ATA
	DVD-RW
This will be a learning installation.  I have some past experience with
OS/2 Warp 3 and Redhat 5.1 (no, you don't get to guess my age) on much
smaller drives.

Q1:  I have two drives, laid out as follows:
Drive 1
/ad0a	  WinXP, NTFS, 16.06GB, primary
/ad0e     data, NTFS, 12.58GB, extended

Drive 2
/ad1a     currently empty, 14.36GB, primary
           (installation target)
/ad1e     /ad0 backup, NTFS, 14.27GB, extended

I'd like to use XP's NTLDR to manage the dual boot process.  I've seen
the following trick for Linux ( www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html):

- Boot into Linux, copy the first sector of the boot partition as follows:
	dd if=/dev/hdb of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
- Move bootsect.lnx to WinXP root (C:\), and add the following line to
boot.ini:
	C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

Does this approach work with FreeBSD?  Logic says it should, given the
similarities, but when has logic applied consistently to computers?

Q2: Failing that, does anyone out there have any experience with
PowerQuest's (now Symantec) BootMagic boot manager (p/o Partition Magic
8.0) and FreeBSD?  The documentation indicated that it will recognize
Linux partitions, but says nothing about FreeBSD.

Q3: Partitioning
   Yes, I know you've seen several million questions on partitioning
schemes.  I've read up on it, and I'd like to get some feedback on this
plan.  All slices would be p/o ad1a, which has approx. 14,704MB free.

	/		128M
	/usr	8192M
	/home	3312M
	/var	1024M