better disk reliability on a desktop machine

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Fri Jul 15 12:37:37 GMT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Nick Barnes wrote:

> 1. RAID mirror filesystem questions:
>
> 1a: should this be vinum?  I have read and can follow the handbook
>    instructions for a vinum root filesystem.

In my opinion its a fine thing that the root boot filesystem can be
vinum. However its just not quite something I think is proper. There
are a few select files on the root filesystem which are unique to
your system, everything else exists elsewhere such as on your
installation CDROM.

When you go to build your new filesystem keep a list of the files you
tweak. Suggest placing it in /root/important_file_list. Be sure to
list the important file list in your important file list.

tar -cvzf /home/myaccount/backups/today.tar.gz -T /root/
important_file_list

Size /usr sufficient for OS and application space but don't place
critical data there. Make /home your redundant mirror and put
everything critical there.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net