FreeBSD 5.x raid...

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Fri Jul 15 03:42:24 GMT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 7:56 PM, Casper wrote:

> I can`t find gvinum man on my 5.4 and in google too :)

What I was told a year ago was that vinum development and support in
the 5.x series had ceased and that gvinum was slated to replace
vinum. As I said previously vinum worked once running but had about a
50/50 probability of remembering my configuration between reboots.
Simply changing the startup file /etc/rc.d/vinum to start gvinum
rather than vinum solved the problem completely using the drives
configured with vinum without rebuilding the volume.

Gvinum is necessary due to internal changes in FreeBSD due to GEOM.

It has also been said that gvinum does not yet have all the features
of vinum. What its lacking, I can't say.

> I`m thinking for my server better tool is gmirror?

Gvinum worked for my striped volume. I can't say how gmirror differs
from gvinum. Maybe someone who has run both will speak.

The "gvinum mirror" command I provided earlier should have you up and
running very quickly. Suggest you try it. Beat on the system.
Practice removing a plex, trashing it as if it were a new drive, then
rebuilding the mirror. Then do the same for gmirror. Now is the right
time to play with it before the system goes into production and
becomes too precious to play with.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net