Using Multiple Internet Connections with FreeBSD

Александр Деревянко aeder at list.ru
Thu Jul 14 20:43:12 GMT 2005

John Barbieri wrote:

>Howdy,
>

>To start off, I have a FreeBSD router running Nat and dhcp, it is
>currently the router for my LAN.
>
>I was wondering if there was a way to aggregate more then one internet
>connection using FreeBSD?
>

>That is, have 2 or 3 internet connections coming in on seperate NICs,
>and being able to have the box route and nat the packets accordingly to
>the lan, thus giving the experience of more bandwidth. Is it even possible?
>

>Has someone done it before? and if you have, do you have a webpage that
>you followed instructions from?
>
>Ive been searching around, but I have not been able to find a straight
>answer. I was hoping you guys could help

As it seems for me, it is not directly possible.
Teoretically, you can have a non-tree network topology,
but in that case all upstream routers must know both way,
how to access you host. Or you must have very smart
NAT daemon, to perform round-robin.

>From my point of view, the easiest method can be the following,
assuming you need only outgoing web surf connection:

1. Run two different squid processes on the two different routers, with very small cache size on it. Configure them to access internet via different connections. Also, you will need to configure dnsservers processes accordingly, to use different connections also.
2. Run third squid internally in the lan
with possible big cache, and configure it to perform round-robin.

In that case you will have scalability and availability.

Instead of having different routers, you can run squid processes in jails.

--
Best Regards,
Alexander Derevianko