/dev/ufs

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu Jul 14 14:58:15 GMT 2005

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jul 14), Heinrich Rebehn said:
>
>>I am trying to mount disks by label. The glabel(8) manpage suggests:
>>
>>           tunefs -L data /dev/da4s1a
>>           mount /dev/ufs/data /mnt/data
>>
>>I tried that, but i don't see a /dev/ufs at all. Does it have to be
>>mounted? If so, how?
>

> Make sure you have the geom_label module loaded, or have "options
> GEOM_LABEL" in your kernel config file.  It's also a bit sensitive; if
> your filesystem doesn't completely fill the partition it's in, you
> won't get a label, so if you have resized partitions and not yet run
> growfs it won't show up.

Hmm, it does not work:

root at antsrv1 [~] # kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
  1    9 0xc0400000 3c8ed4   kernel
  2   14 0xc07c9000 56270    acpi.ko
  3    1 0xc3c38000 17000    linux.ko
  4    1 0xc9610000 4000     geom_label.ko
  5    1 0xc918f000 2000     geom_vol_ffs.ko
root at antsrv1 [~] # tunefs -L backup /dev/da1s1a
root at antsrv1 [~] # tunefs -p /dev/da1s1a
tunefs: ACLs: (-a)                                         disabled
tunefs: MAC multilabel: (-l)                               disabled
tunefs: soft updates: (-n)                                 disabled
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  2048
tunefs: average file size: (-f)                            16384
tunefs: average number of files in a directory: (-s)       64
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             1%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time
tunefs: should optimize for space with minfree < 8%
tunefs: volume label: (-L)                                 backup
root at antsrv1 [~] # ls /dev/ufs
ls: /dev/ufs: No such file or directory

The filesystem is freshly newfs'ed and the partitions have not been resized.

Any more ideas?
--Heinrich