mountmsdosfs(): disk too big still a problem?

Alex Teslik alex at acatysmoof.com
Thu Jul 14 02:13:35 GMT 2005

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz>
To: Alex Teslik <alex at acatysmoof.com>
Cc: List freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:29:34 -0500
Subject: Re: mountmsdosfs(): disk too big still a problem?

> Alex Teslik wrote:
>
> >I have run into the "mountmsdosfs(); disk too big" problem while trying to
> >mount a 250GB FAT32 drive. This problem is pretty well documented:
> >
> >http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/freebsd-stable/msg11027.html
> >
> >but I couldn't find any documentation regarding it being fixed when I googled
> >around.
> >I am running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p5 i386. Does anyone know if this problem is
> >fixed in 4.11 or 5.4?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Alex
> >

> I'm thinking the answer is "no", but I've not searched
> the CVS tree.
>
> Last time I tried was about a month, maybe two months
> ago on 5.3, IIRC.  FWIW, the limit is about 120GB, and,
> AFAIK, the problem is known (of course) and quite possibly
> is being addressed.
>
> Kevin Kinsey
> DaleCo, S.P.
------- End of Original Message -------

Thanks Kevin and Tsampros.

For what its worth, I would think this should be turned on by default.
According to the notes it doesn't prevent NFS exporting of <128GB filesystems,
so it shouldn't bite anyone currently in the sad position of having to do that.
On the other hand it is getting to the point that <128GB drives are becoming
foolish to buy, and harder to find. Unfortunately the windows systems that
they also need to work with are still ubiquitous. So enabling this support
would relieve a lot of headaches with everyone buying new drives.

Thanks,
Alex