Unstable NFS mount from shared Solaris filesystem?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Wed Jul 13 18:49:57 GMT 2005

On 07/13/05 02:34 PM, Lowell Gilbert sat at the `puter and typed:
> Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> writes:
>
> > On 07/13/05 12:34 PM, Kelly D. Grills sat at the `puter and typed:
>
> > > See FAQ 12.12 and section 23.3.5 of the handbook.
> > > The -r=1024 parameter solved my problems.
> >
> > The FAQ.  Darnit, I knew I was forgetting something.
> >
> > That seems to have fixed it so far, but what does it mean?  I can't
> > find it in the manpages.
>
> >From TFM (mount_nfs(8)):
>      -r      Set the read data size to the specified value.  It should nor-
>              mally be a power of 2 greater than or equal to 1024.  This should
>              be used for UDP mounts when the ``fragments dropped due to
>              timeout'' value is getting large while actively using a mount
>              point.  (Use netstat(1) with the -s option to see what the
>              ``fragments dropped due to timeout'' value is.)  See the -w
>              option as well.

Ah.  I was reading the wrong manpage.

Thanks for clarifying.  I don't suppose you know the default - is it
8K?  It's not specified in the mount_nfs(8) manpage.

And is there a way to make NFS mounts use 1024 by default?

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

  A man was reading The Canterbury Tales one Saturday morning, when his
wife asked "What have you got there?"  Replied he, "Just my cup and Chaucer."