Make GNU Make behave like BSD Make?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Wed Jul 13 18:26:23 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:12:57PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> David Kelly wrote:
>
> >So my question is "Is there a way to make GNU Make handle .depend the
> >BSD way? And is it possible for the same Makefile to run the same way on
> >either BSD or GNU Makes?"
>
> However, you could just try standardising on one make or the other.
> gmake will build on FreeBSD and (unfortunately) may be the easiest way
> to go.

Yes, but the problem is that I want to make GNU Make behave the BSD way.
Specifically my application is an embedded AVR and it really needs to
build fairly painlessly under the WinAVR environment where GNU Make is
painlessly bundled. Yet I also often use FreeBSD and ports/devel/avr*.

I do have gmake installed on FreeBSD so that isn't an issue. Another way
to say what I'm trying to do is that gmake barfs if "include .depend"
is specified but .depend does not exist. The result is "make depend" is
not a solution for creating .depend.

Its not a problem for *me* to "touch .depend" the first time. OTOH it
stymied my boss.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net