Unstable NFS mount from shared Solaris filesystem?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Wed Jul 13 18:23:04 GMT 2005

On 07/13/05 12:34 PM, Kelly D. Grills sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:33:15AM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer through
> > searches.  I don't remember if this was a FreeBSD or a Solaris related
> > issue, either, so I'm sorry of I'm getting too far OT.
> >
> > I'm trying to mount an NFS share from a Solaris 10 (x86) system to a
> > FreeBSD (5.3-RELEASE-p4) system.  For some reason, working in the NFS
> > filesystem on the FreeBSD system meets with annoyingly frequent
> > lockups of the terminal, particularly when editing files or executing
> > df or du.
> >
> > If there's a configuration somewhere that fixes this, I can't find it.
> >
> > My /etc/fstab entry on the FreeBSD box is:
> > sol:/export/home  /sol/home  nfs  rw,noauto,bg,soft 0 0
> >
> > /etc/dfs/dfstab on the Solaris box contains:
> > share  -F nfs  -o rw  -d "home dirs"  /export/home
> >
> > and /etc/dfs/sharetab contains:
> > /export/home    -       nfs     rw      home dirs
> >
> > I don't think I'm missing anything, but I'm sure NFS isn't supposed to
> > be this unstable either.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> See FAQ 12.12 and section 23.3.5 of the handbook.
> The -r=1024 parameter solved my problems.

The FAQ.  Darnit, I knew I was forgetting something.

That seems to have fixed it so far, but what does it mean?  I can't
find it in the manpages.

Thanks!

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Friends, n.:
  People who know you well, but like you anyway.