Unstable NFS mount from shared Solaris filesystem?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Wed Jul 13 14:33:21 GMT 2005

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer through
searches.  I don't remember if this was a FreeBSD or a Solaris related
issue, either, so I'm sorry of I'm getting too far OT.

I'm trying to mount an NFS share from a Solaris 10 (x86) system to a
FreeBSD (5.3-RELEASE-p4) system.  For some reason, working in the NFS
filesystem on the FreeBSD system meets with annoyingly frequent
lockups of the terminal, particularly when editing files or executing
df or du.

If there's a configuration somewhere that fixes this, I can't find it.

My /etc/fstab entry on the FreeBSD box is:
sol:/export/home  /sol/home  nfs  rw,noauto,bg,soft 0 0

/etc/dfs/dfstab on the Solaris box contains:
share  -F nfs  -o rw  -d "home dirs"  /export/home

and /etc/dfs/sharetab contains:
/export/home    -       nfs     rw      home dirs

I don't think I'm missing anything, but I'm sure NFS isn't supposed to
be this unstable either.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

job Placement, n.:
  Telling your boss what he can do with your job.