cant setup up comcast cable modem

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Tue Jul 12 18:40:14 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005, Robert Huff wrote:

>Brant Anderson writes:
>
>>  I have tried everything on the web and have had no luck.  I have
>>  the cable modem direct to the freebsd computer (through ethernet
>>  card) but I can not reach the internet.  I try to ping but it
>>  comes back host could not be resolved.  How should I set up my
>>  network?
>
>	My girlfriend, who is a tier 1 Comcast internet service rep,
>says you probably have a bad modem configuration file _on their
>end_.  She advises this is a common problem ("We've been getting a
>lot of that recently.") and you should call Comcast tech support.

Typically when setting up Comcast cable connections, the first thing you
have to do is initially configure your web browser to use their server as a
proxy server.  Comcast traps all connections from new sites to their
server, but unless you have it set to proxy from that same server, your
machine cannot complete their sign up procedures.

If one changes the device connecting to the cable ``modem'' (e.g.
from a Windows machine to FreeBSD box, or perhaps to a commodity
router/firewall from Netgear, LinkSys, etc.), you will probably
have to power cycle the cable modem to get it to accept a NIC
with a new MAC address.  Most of the low-end router/firewall
appliances have the ability to change their MAC address to deal
with cases where the cable/DSL provider hard codes it to the
original machine.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, ``but when one of our citizens
show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself.''
		-- Cameron Hawley