Forcing a packet through an interface (OT?)

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Jul 12 15:45:29 GMT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 5:38 AM, Mario Lobo wrote:

> First, thanks to all for the suggestions.
>
> Now, using the same scenario,
>

>>> 1) rl0 (real.ip.no.1) ---> ISP x
>>>
>>> 2) rl1 (real.ip.no.2) ---> ISP y
>>>

> Suppose 1) is down and I´m using 2). If I "ping www.google.com",
> it will go out through 2). What I really need to do is to issue
> the same "ping www.google.com" but make go out through 1) !!

Nom what you want to do is

ping   isp1.router.net

Since #1 should still have its IP assigned, the system should route
traffic out #1 for targets that are in the same subnet as the IP
address for #1.  Your assigned  ISP #1 router/gateway address is
probably in the same subnet but at the ISP, so traffic to it will go
out #1 even with a default route of #2.  This will tell you if the
link to the ISP is back up or not.

Chad

> Of course I could switch the default route to 1), test, then switch
> it back to 2),
> but I can´t do it this way because internet traffic should remain
> undisturbed.
>
> That is why the "Forcing a packet..." subject.
>
> thanks
> --
>    //|  //||
> -//--//---|| ARIO LOBO